Welcome

Welcome to this blog of my film reviews. Some have been drafted carefully on paper, others I have sat and typed. I'm going to make it clear right now that I don't expect you to agree with my (re)views, or to like my style of writing. However, I want my views to be just out there and open, as a person who wishes to express himself from deep within. Feel free to comment and debate with me, but I do ask that you are civil and not harsh, as any comments which are basically swear words and insults will automatically be deleted. Also any text that is in orange (and often bold) is a Hyperlink to either a source, or a previous post for background reference.

Friday, 8 October 2010

Home Alone 4



*

It's Christmas and Kevin (Michael Weinberg) is off to stay with his dad (Jason Beghe) and his rich new fiancee (Joanna Going) for the festive season at the same time as some European royalty (Andre Roothman, Lisa King and Craig Geldenhuys) are also staying. However, Harry (French Stewart) and his new wife (Missi Pyle) are out of prison and plotting to kidnap the young Prince (Geldenhuys), and only Kevin can stop them.

To be perfectly frank this is one of the all-time worst films I have ever seen. Fortunately John Hughes didn't further ruin his reputation (which went downhill after 1997's Home Alone 3) as he didn't write it and it was released as a TV film. It is set halfway between the 1990 original and the 1992 first sequel, with none of the original cast returning and countless continuity errors, including the fact that Kevin only has two siblings (Gideon Jacobs, Chelsea Russo) in this film instead of four. I won't bother listing the rest as I'll probably pass out from dehydration if I sit and list, but it is very clear that this is written as a piece of Christmas kid's entertainment.

Entertainment? It's not even a funny film. The gags fall totally flat, the characters are irritating and hugely underdeveloped, and instead of booby traps Kevin uses the fact everything in the house is voice activated to stop the bad guys. This all makes it not even a rehash of the original, just an overly poor cop-out that isn't funny to watch, and doesn't even get up off the ground, let alone fall flat.

In short one of the most pathetic excuses for a "film" ever made, and I would rather eat a cold kebab than endure it again, it is that painfully an unamusing "comedy" "sequel". It was a TV film, what more excuse do you need?


2002.
U.
Stars:
Michael Weinberg, French Stewart, Missi Pyle, Jason Beghe, Joanna Going, Erick Avari, Barbara Babcock, Clare Carey, Craig Geldenhuys, Lisa King, Andre Roothman, Anton Smuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment