Welcome

Welcome to this blog of my film reviews. Some have been drafted carefully on paper, others I have sat and typed. I'm going to make it clear right now that I don't expect you to agree with my (re)views, or to like my style of writing. However, I want my views to be just out there and open, as a person who wishes to express himself from deep within. Feel free to comment and debate with me, but I do ask that you are civil and not harsh, as any comments which are basically swear words and insults will automatically be deleted. Also any text that is in orange (and often bold) is a Hyperlink to either a source, or a previous post for background reference.

Thursday, 28 October 2010

Martin Freeman is set to play the lead role of Bilbo Baggins in 'The Hobbit'...will it work?

Last night on Film 2010 it was revealed to us Brits that comedian Martin Freeman would play the role of Bilbo Baggins in The Hobbit, and there are a number of reasons why this could fail...

Firstly, Freeman is a comic actor/comedian and I can count on one hand the number of times he's ever played a semi-serious character, and when I say one hand I don't even get past the third finger. Also, Bilbo is a deep and fairly complex character, and the nearest Freeman has ever come to playing a character like that was Arthur Dent in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005), which, although enjoyable, is nowhere near in the same league as The Hobbit or anything Tolkien. Secondly, as it is Peter Jackson writing, directing and producing, each of the two films will be a good three hours, at least, and the whole six hours is to be carried by Bilbo - can Freeman handle that when he's only ever played a character for a total running time close to that long in The Office (2001-3)? Finally, he is generally one-sided and Bilbo's character development gives the character several sides.

On the other hand, this could work, as Jackson has always judged well when it comes to casting - let's face it the cast of The Lord of the Rings (2001-3) was truly perfect casting, so he must have felt Freeman was perfect for the role. After The Lord of the Rings I trust his judgement when it comes to casting so I am willing to give Freeman a chance. Whether it's a success or not will be revealed when The Hobbit: Part I is released in two years time.

2 comments:

  1. After seeing him in Sherlock, I'm convinced he'll be a perfect Bilbo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fair enough, I haven't seen Sherlock yet, but that's made me more desperate to see it

    ReplyDelete