Welcome

Welcome to this blog of my film reviews. Some have been drafted carefully on paper, others I have sat and typed. I'm going to make it clear right now that I don't expect you to agree with my (re)views, or to like my style of writing. However, I want my views to be just out there and open, as a person who wishes to express himself from deep within. Feel free to comment and debate with me, but I do ask that you are civil and not harsh, as any comments which are basically swear words and insults will automatically be deleted. Also any text that is in orange (and often bold) is a Hyperlink to either a source, or a previous post for background reference.

Saturday, 12 February 2011

Christian Themes within 'The Village' (2004)


As a Christian there are four things to look at within The Village (2004)...

ONE

The titular Village is designed to look like puritan New England, and until the shocking revelations of the climax that is what we assume it is. Puritan New England was the early Christian settlers within America, just in case you were unsure. Now, a quiet life away from evil, living simply is what M. Night Shyamalan seems to be saying Christianity is like. On the one hand that is true, because, as a Christian, I ultimately don't need Earthly things, as I have such a phenomenal eternity promised to me. On the other hand that is false, because the Bible says that we cannot escape evil, but we must fight it, just like Moses fought Pharoah.

TWO

Secrecy and Lies. Now the whole Village is based on a lie, yet it is seen as a "good lie", one which the villagers seem to benefit from. Many Atheists look at Christianity in such a way, as they feel that the "lies" of the Bible make us Christians happy and that is surely a good thing. Jesus, however, said "You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." As a Christian I believe every word Jesus spoke, even if I have trouble understanding at times. Knowing the truth of how God sent Jesus to die for us has set me free from feeling I have to live a perfect life, as there is nothing I can do to save myself, it is all in God's control. Although this is not on the same scale as the Christian message, the basis is the similar. If the villagers knew the truth then they would be set free from living in the ways of the Village, the restrictions of living such a pure, basic life.

THREE

Evil is Outside. If the Village can avoid evil then they will avoid suffering. Some Atheists look at Christianity like this, basing their opinions on nuns, semi shut off from the rest of the world, or the Christian kid at the houseparty who turns down every offer of alcohol and/or drugs. The world is full of suffering and the more Christians seem to shut themselves away from the evils of the world, they're less likely to suffer is what a lot of Atheists say. WRONG!!! You could lock yourself in a padded cell with a single chemical toilet, and three meals a day shoved through a cat flap for the rest of your life to avoid evils and sufferings of the world, but Jesus emphasised that evil comes from within the hearts of everyone, and that "no man is pure, all are evil within." In The Village, the character of Noah highlights this. A 4-year-old in a 22-year-old's body, he is most definetly as innocent as they get, yet the jealousy he feels when Lucius and Ivy are engaged leads him to commit evil acts which have repercussions on the entire Village. The evil comes from within, leading to evil actions.

FOUR

Fear. The Village is made and sealed off from the rest of the world, due to fear of everything bad in the outside world. A number of Atheists believe Christianity is based on fear, fear of an Almighty God, who could condemn anybody and everybody to Hell, therefore, people are scared by the prospect of Hell and become Christians. That is completely and utterly wrong!!! John 3: 16-17 says: For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. God is graceful and loving, and it is the Holy Spirit working within my heart that makes me a Christian, and the same applies to every other genuine Christian. We do not submit to God out of fear, but out of love born from the Holy Spirit. If God were not pure then it would be out of fear, but he is a pure and loving God and it is his Grace that gives us Christians faith.

That is my four points on how to look at The Village from a Christian perspective. If you are a Christian who has not seen The Village then I recommend you watch it. If you are a non-Christian who has seen the film then I suggest you rewatch it, bearing in mind my four points.

God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment