Welcome

Welcome to this blog of my film reviews. Some have been drafted carefully on paper, others I have sat and typed. I'm going to make it clear right now that I don't expect you to agree with my (re)views, or to like my style of writing. However, I want my views to be just out there and open, as a person who wishes to express himself from deep within. Feel free to comment and debate with me, but I do ask that you are civil and not harsh, as any comments which are basically swear words and insults will automatically be deleted. Also any text that is in orange (and often bold) is a Hyperlink to either a source, or a previous post for background reference.

Wednesday, 14 September 2011

An Example of how Creating/Designing a Live-Action Sequence is not that Different from an Animated Sequence

This is by no means a brilliant example of how the two aren't that different, but here's a scene from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (2010) in the various stages of its design and creation...





As you can see Step 1 is a pen on paper sketch; Step 2 is a more artistic, painted image; Step 3 is on the basic set with the green-screen; Step 4 is the final finished, post-CGI image.

Here is the creation of a sequence from Toy Story 3 (2010)...






Step 1 is a pen on paper sketch; Step 2 a chalk design; Step 3 a basic Computer Animation; Step 4 more details are added; Step 5 the final image.

Ironically the final image is one created for promotion, while the one used in the film changed the positions of several characters, most notably Woody. Anyway, that's a trivial matter. The point is that there are several stages to creating a sequence in a live-action and in an animation, and each one is more detailed and creates a strong final image - the Harry Potter one a strong piece of editing and CGI, the Toy Story 3  one being a very detailed piece of animation.

No comments:

Post a Comment